More than 40 students at Houston school sickened by fumes

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston Fire Department officials say more than 40 students have been taken to hospitals after being sickened by fumes possibly from tar work on nearby roofs.
Authorities responded to the Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy in Houston late Thursday morning. The fire department says students were transported to hospitals, as a precaution, after complaining of nausea and headaches.
Officials initially believed the students were sickened by a possible gas leak. But CenterPoint Energy spokeswoman Alicia Dixon says the company determined the incident was not related to natural gas.
Authorities later determined the students were likely sickened by fumes from tar being used for roof repairs in the area.
The fire department cleared the scene by early Thursday afternoon and said no hazards were found.

SHARE

RELATED CONTENT

Salvadoran immigrant indicted for voter fraud in Texas Father: Girl on Time cover is with her mother Texas court overturns Laredo disposable plastic bags ban Online fundraiser for separated migrant families has brought in over $18.5M, breaking records Couple engaged after airline finds lost bag with ring Record number of Texans to travel for Independence Day
Comments