MANCHESTER, England (AP) -Thousands of people have turned out for a vigil in Manchester, with the crowd holding a minute of silence to honor the victims of the concert attack.
Lord Mayor Eddy Newman and the city’s police chief were among the speakers in front of city hall in Albert Square. Several people in the crowd held up signs with “I Love MCR,” an abbreviation for Manchester.
A banner with a website for a Muslim group said “Love for all, Hatred for None.”
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for Monday night’s blast at the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena that killed 22 people and wounded 59 others. Police have named the suspected bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi.
Pop group Take That has postponed its planned three shows at the Manchester Arena Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
The band had already canceled its Tuesday show in nearby Liverpool following the deadly bomb attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.
The band said it was postponing the Sunday performance “out of respect to all of the people and their families that were affected by the horrific incident last night.”
The band Blondie also canceled its Tuesday night concert in London “as a mark of respect for the victims of the terrible attack.”
Manchester’s police chief has warned that while he understands that “feelings are very raw” after Monday’s concert attack, it is vital that the city’s diverse communities stand together and that hate will not be tolerated.
Chief Constable Ian Hopkins also said that the priority for police Tuesday is to establish whether the suspected bomber, named as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, was acting alone or as part of a network.
Police arrested an unidentified 23-year-old man in southern Manchester on Tuesday. They also raided the house where Abedi was registered as living, but witnesses say they did not see anyone arrested there.
The chiefs of Italy’s police and intelligence forces, along with a British security official, have met to review anti-terrorism measures in light of the Manchester bomb blast, which occurred four days ahead of a G-7 summit in Sicily.
Interior Minister Marco Minniti led the huddle Tuesday at his ministry, with a Rome-based British security official among the participants.
Official records show that Salman Abedi was registered as living at the Manchester house raided by armed police investigating Monday night’s deadly concert blast.
The electoral register shows that 22-year-old Abedi – confirmed by British police as the suspect in the suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert – lived at the house in Fallowfield in southern Manchester where police carried out a controlled explosion Tuesday.
Alan Kinsey, 52, who lives across the street from the raided house, filmed at least 20 heavily armed police in helmets and armor march down the street, surround the house and blast down the door before entering.
He said he didn’t see anyone but police leave the house.
He said a man in his 20s, whose name he didn’t know, lived there. In the past there had been other residents but for the last six months or more he had just seen the man.