San Antonio (KTSA News)--Each time you fly out of San Antonio International Airport, you are paying an extra fee that is going towards improving a number of homes in the city.
The Acoustical Treatment Program, which was launched back in 2006, is designed to make neighborhoods located near the airport more compatible with airport noise by providing acoustical treatments to older homes.
"The Passenger Facility Charge is a charge that when you fly out of San Antonio, there's a $4.50 cent fee that's on that ticket. That comes back to the airport to do a lot of different kinds of projects, and the noise program is just one of those," said Frank Miller, Aviation Director at San Antonio International Airport.
Miller said it costs on average $30,000 to $35,000 per home, and the program has already made improvements on 1,000 homes with around 2,200 more homes to go.
"The cost to improve these homes varies depending on the neighborhood and the size and age of the home," said Miller, "And that cost goes into all of the work to replace windows, to replace doors, the architectural work that has to be done; there's fence as well that has been replaced."
Miller says 20 percent of this program is funded by the Passenger Facility Charge, while the other 80 percent majority is funded by the Federal Government.
The program celebrated its 1,000th completed home with a ribbon cutting ceremony at the home of Annis Fisher Monday afternoon.
"I can't hear my car beep when it says 'I'm locked' now. I don't hear the dog next door. I don't hear the trash truck that came down the street this morning like I should of; I mean, it's strange things that you don't even think about that I don't hear no more," said Fisher.
San Antonio Councilwoman Elisa Chan also attended the ribbon cutting ceremony, at which she claimed the program had a 98 percent satisfaction rate among those who have already received the repairs.