An autopsy is pending on a 14-year-old California girl who died this week after "huffing" computer keyboard cleaner.
Preliminary reports indicate she probably died of asphyxiation or cardiac arrest due to inhaling the computer duster.
Dr. Miguel Fernandez, director of the South Texas Poison Center and a professor in Emergency Medicine at the UT Health Science Center, says if it doesn't kill a person, huffing, dusting or bagging can cause irreversable damage to the brain, kidneys and liver.
"There's somewhat of a sense of euphoria before becoming hypoxic, meaning low oxygen in the brain," said Fernandez.
He told 550 KTSA News he has seen inhalant abusers as young as pre-teens who are suffering the consequences after seeking a cheap high. He says they don't realize they're taking a life-threatening risk.
"Your heart could stop beating normally and various organs could stop functioning properly," he told 550 KTSA News.
Friends and relatives of Aria Doherty are mourning the death of the Los Angeles area honor student who died Monday. She was found dead in her bed with a can of computer cleaner still attached to her mouth. Her nostrils were taped shut.
Earlier this month, a 12-year-old girl from Victorville, California died after inhaling Freon from an air conditioning unit.
She passed out and was taken to a hospital where she was pronounced brain-dead. Several days later, her family made the heart-wrenching decision to take her off of life support.
This is National Poison Prevention Week and if you have any questions about inhalant abuse, you can call the South Texas Poison Center at 1-800-1222.