LC Login Area


Register Login Forgot Password

Suspected Shooter from Texas



By ERIC TUCKER, BRETT ZONGKER and LOLITA C. BALDOR
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.

The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

The D.C. mayor says 13 people have died in the shooting rampage, including the gunman.

Mayor Vincent Gray said at a news conference Monday afternoon that the shooter was among the dead. Officials say the gunman has been identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis.

Earlier in the day, authorities had been looking for two other people who may have been involved in the shooting. One of those people has been identified and ruled out as a suspect.

However, Gray says investigators are still searching for a third individual wearing an olive-green, military-style uniform to determine if he was involved.

Gray says a motive has not yet been determined.

© 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Filed Under :  
Locations : Fort WorthNew York CityTexasWashington
People : Aaron AlexisVincent Gray
Average Rating : 0    
KTSA AccuWeather
KTSA Traffic
Keyword Search
Business Directory
Search:        
KTSA Poll
 
ADVERTISEMENT