Secret Service responds to man who shot himself near White House

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The Secret Service on Saturday responded to reports of a man who shot himself near the White House.

The incident happened along the North White House fence line, the Secret Service said in a statement. There were no other reported injuries related to the incident.

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s private club in Palm Beach, Florida, at the time, but returned to Washington, D.C., later Saturday afternoon.

The president was briefed on the shooting.

“We are aware of the situation,” said White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders in a statement.

Law enforcement sources told ABC News the man who apparently suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound did not breach the fence line. The unidentified man’s condition was not immediately known.

The Secret Service did not fire any shots, the sources said. A firearm was recovered at the scene.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Foreign adoptions by US families drop by 12 percent AP-NORC Poll: Support soars for stricter gun control laws Trump says he is “considering” veto of $1.3 trillion budget A record 965 million passengers packed US planes last year Experts: Uber SUV’s autonomous system should have seen woman Police: Baby in viral video was smoking marijuana