SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — Hours before a world champion boxer turned himself in to San Antonio police last month, Bexar county commissioner Tommy Calvert reportedly tried calling the district attorney to discuss the matter.
In the voicemail left for Bexar County DA Joe Gonzales obtained by KSAT, Calvert said he had heard “one side” of the story behind the July 16 incident that led to three felony robbery warrants for 31-year-old Jermall Charlo.
“I was just calling about the Jermall Charlo issue here,” Calvert said. “…[I’m] a little concerned about the public relations fallout, but I’m not completely sure of all the facts. I’ve heard one side.”
Charlo was in town to watch his twin brother Jermell Charlo, another world champion boxer, in a fight slated for July 17 at AT&T Center.
Charlo reportedly accused a waitress at a northwest side bar of stealing his credit card after his card was declined. After an argument, police said the boxer took the waitress’s server book and took his credit card and some cash. His lawyer Kent Schaffer has denied the claims since Charlo turned himself in Aug. 25 and told KSAT this week that he spoke with the commissioner before the boxer was formally charged.
“I got the feeling he’s a fan of Jermall’s and said if there’s anything he could do to help then to let him know,” Schaffer said in an email to KSAT.
Calvert said in a statement Monday he was “intent to find out the facts of the matter,” but eventually got them from police.
“It has come to light through all of these conversations that [a frantic] constituent had given me misinformation,” Calrvert said. “I stepped back as soon as I found out. I hope this clarifies my voice message left to the District Attorney and closes this matter.”
World champion boxer arrested on robbery charges in San Antonio