SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) – Evacuees coming to San Antonio from the Grand Princess cruise ship have been screened, but not tested for coronavirus.
That’s what City Manager Erik Walsh told the city council Wednesday during an emergency meeting concerning COVID-19.
Ninety-eight cruise ship passengers arrived at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland Tuesday night. Ninety-one are from Texas.
“All these individuals, according to HHS, were asymptomatic. They had not been tested, but had been screened before they boarded the plane,” said Walsh.
About 120 additional passengers from the Grand Princess are coming to San Antonio sometime today, but Walsh said he had not been informed about the time of arrival.
“We have been told that they will not be tested when they arrive here unless they start to develop symptoms,” said Walsh.
As cities across the country cancel major events involving large crowds, Councilman Clayton Perry said he would address the “elephant in the room.” The Northeast Side councilman asked about a “drop-dead date” for calling off Fiesta.
The city manager said there is no cut off date,” but they’ll continue to monitor the situation and will consult with various groups involved with major Fiesta events when making a final decision. Fiesta San Antonio is scheduled April 16-26.
While the city council was meeting, the World Health Organization declared the outbreak of COVID-19 coronavirus a pandemic.
This is a developing story…