SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — Investigators are trying to determine what sparked a massive fire Saturday night at a hotel in Schertz.  They’re also looking into whether the sprinkler system property activated when the blaze erupted, sending three people to a hospital.  All three have been treated and released.

Adam Rico and his family from Jacksonville, Texas were at a wedding reception in San Antonio Saturday night when they found out about the fire at La Quinta on IH 35 near FM 3009. He thought his friend was kidding when he told him the hotel where he was staying was on fire until he saw the Facebook Live video by KTSA’s Don Morgan.

His wife said it was “the worst vacation that I’ve ever had.”

They were in the clothes they wore to the wedding as they watched flames shooting through the roof of the hotel. The Rico family went to the nearby Walmart to buy a change of clothes because they were unable to retrieve their belongings from the hotel until Sunday afternoon.

Fire tears through the La Quinta Inn and Suites on FM 3009 in Schertz. (Photo: KTSA/Elizabeth Ruiz)

Tanessa Esparza and her family had just settled in after a long drive from Midland Saturday night when the fire alarm sounded.
She thought it probably was a false alarm.

“My husband went outside and smelled smoke, so he came in and started grabbing the luggage with my kids. We all just bolted down the stairs and came outside,” said Esparza.

They watched firefighters battle the stubborn blaze that kept reigniting with every strong gust of wind.

“There was one ladder truck spraying water on top of the building, but the fire just kept flaring up and that one firefighter couldn’t control it,” said Esparza.

Aid was provided by Cibolo, Selma, San Antonio, Live Oak, Bracken, Universal City, New Braunfels and Randolph fire departments. St. Hedwig and new Berlin Fire departments helped out by providing backup at Schertz Fire stations while their crews responded to the fire.

One-hundred-46 people were evacuated from La Quinta and sent to other hotels . A dog found motionless on the third floor of the four-story hotel was treated by Schertz EMS. He was given oxygen and is expected to make a full recovery.

Schertz Fire Marshal Tommy Pinder told KTSA News every room sustained fire, smoke and/or water damage.

More about: