UPDATE 7:04 p.m.

Bexar County sheriff Javier Salazar said deputies first got a call about shots being fired in the area of Potranco and Grosenbacher at around 5 p.m. Friday.

A woman who called 911 said she heard gunshots, but was not sure if the shots were being fired at her house or not.  She was able to provide the sheriff’s office with a description of the vehicle.

A deputy spotted a vehicle with two people inside matching the description and tried to get it to pull over.  The driver declined to do so and fled.

Deputies ran the license plate on the vehicle and determined it was stolen.  Salazar said it was not clear if the shooter was aiming for someone or just shooting wildly.

The sheriff said it became a long chase that ventured onto State Highway 151 and Loop 410 before ending at Ingram Park Mall.

The suspected bailed by the H&M entrance of the mall and both went inside.

Deputies were able to get one of the suspects — a juvenile male believed to be 16 or 17 years old.  They were also able to recover a gun from inside the car.

The other suspect ran into the mall.

Salazar said SWAT and K-9 units are in the mall and clearing it store by store. The mall is still closed.

The sheriff said it is not known if the suspect is armed — or even if the suspect is still inside.  He said it was possible the suspect went in one end and out the other.

Salazar also confirmed that there are people who are sheltering in place within the mall.  He added it is very likely that if you have a loved one inside the mall currently that they are safe.  They will be let out from the mall when the SWAT teams clear their portion of the mall.


SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — Ingram Park Mall closed early to customers Friday afternoon after a police chase and a potentially armed suspect entered the mall.

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office said it was chasing a suspect who evaded deputies and ran into the mall.  It said it is still working to identify their suspect, though, it said he is described as a Hispanic male with a medium build, who stands about 5’7″ and 5’9″ tall, and was wearing a black or blue shirt and black shoes.

The mall — including the parking lot — is closed as the sheriff’s office works to get the suspect.  It asks people not to attempt to enter the parking lot.

People inside the mall are being asked to shelter in place.


More about: