SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) – The San Antonio Fire Department is warning about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after a man and his two young daughters were found dead in their Westside home Monday afternoon.

“We did find high levels of carbon monoxide and a generator inside the house,” said SAFD spokesman Woody Woodward.

Investigators were told that the electricity at the home on Evandale had been shut off since Friday and the family had been using a generator for power.

“They did something that should never be done and that is to put a generator inside a home,” Woodward told KTSA News.

He also says you should never burn charcoal indoors, never use a portable gas camp stove indoors, never use a generator inside, don’t leave a vehicle with the motor running in the garage, and never use a gas range or oven for heating.

Woodward says every home should have carbon monoxide detectors because CO is an odorless, colorless gas. He says the detector should be placed just outside your bedroom where the alarm can wake you up.

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, chest pain and confusion.

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the family found dead Monday.  A woman who set up the account is identified as Bridgette Cavazos.

“Sadly, we lost 3 family members we held and will continue to hold dear in our hearts, ” Bridgette wrote. “Our uncle, Thomas Cavazos, was a great dad and cherished his beautiful girls Healey and Leann Cavazos, who were always so happy and cheerful. This is such a big loss for our family.”

She’s asking for donations to cover funeral expenses.

More about: