UPDATE 12:35 p.m.:

New Braunfels police have confirmed the second zebra has died.

Police spokesman David Ferguson told KTSA News the second zebra escaped its pen again Thursday morning.  It was later found in another part of the property deceased.

It is not clear how either zebra passed.

UPDATE Thursday 10:38 a.m.:

SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — An update on a couple of zebras that were on the lamb in New Braunfels Wednesday.

The zebras had been sold earlier in the day but they managed to escape their new pen.

One of them was spotted running loose on city streets.

Police assisted animal control as they tried to round up the zebra and just before 8 PM, New Braunfels police tweeted that it had been tranquilized and captured but they were looking for a second escaped zebra.

We received word this morning that the second zebra has returned home but sadly the zebra that was tranquilized and caught last night, died shortly after it was returned to the owners. There’s been no word on the cause of death.

The owners are taking precautions to make sure there is not another escape.


UPDATE 8:15 p.m.:

NEW BRAUNFELS (KTSA News) — One wayward New Braunfels zebra has been caught, but now a second is on the loose.

New Braunfels police tells KTSA News they got reports about a loose zebra at around 4:45 p.m. Wednesday.

Police say the zebras were raised outside of the city and were sold Wednesday to someone who ended up putting the zebras on their property along the Guadalupe River east of Interstate 35.

That property was fenced on all sides — expect for the Guadalupe River side.

“The zebras decided that wasn’t much of a barrier and swam across the river,” New Braunfels police spokesman David Ferguson explained.

Ferguson said the primary wayward zebra moved across town at a fairly brisk pace.

It had wandered across the city in about 30 to 40 minutes, though not in a straight path and in some cases put itself in danger in high traffic areas.

The man who helped raise the zebras assisted police wrangle the zebra from a helicopter.

They used a tranquilizer to put it to sleep and has since been transported to the property where it had been raised.

The second zebra escaped at around the same time and through the same means, but had never been spotted by police and remains on the loose.

“Unlike its brother or sister, it has decided to lay low,” said Ferguson.  “No one has really seen it since it went missing.”

The search for that zebra will resume in the morning.


UPDATE 7:45 p.m.:

New Braunfels police say they have safely tranquilized the zebra they have been chasing in the area and have returned it to the ranch where it had gotten away.

Police say it got loose by swimming across the Guadalupe River and then ran off across the city.

However, police now say there is actually a second zebra on the loose.  If you see a zebra, you are asked to call 830-221-4100.

UPDATE 6:55 p.m.:

Police appear to believe the zebra is now in a wooded area near the Dry Comal Trail near the Little League baseball fields in the area of Barwood Drive.


SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — There is a zebra on the loose in New Braunfels.

New Braunfels police say it is working with animal control to try corralling the loose zebra.

It’s not clear how it got loose — or where it came from.

The latest update from police was that it was in the area of North Grape Avenue.

Police also say there is a helicopter team that works with safely trapping animals.  They say to be aware a helicopter may be flying low over some neighborhoods because of that.

More about: