SAN ANTONIO (KTSA News) — A massive fire at a motel in Spring was started by two children whose babysitter left them unattended.

At around 4 P.M on Wednesday, firefighters responded to the three-alarm blaze at the Motel 6 near Cypresswood and the North Freeway.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming through the roof and it didn’t take long for flames to burn through.

Seven people had to be rescued. They were hospitalized for either smoke inhalation or minor injuries. Firefighters also rescued several pets form the burning structure.

Investigators later determined the fire was started by two children, a six year old and a three year old, who were left alone and started playing with a lighter. The children were among those hurt by the fire.  They had been in the care of a babysitter who left them unattended.

The babysitter could face charges.


More about: